Where Was God?
In light of the turmoil that our nation has been through in the last few weeks, it is easy for us to ask the Lord why such horrific things could happen. Our precious country is no longer a nation who seeks the Lord. Instead of questioning the Lord about why bad things happen to us, why not stop and thank the Lord for the good things that have been bestowed upon us.
In January, my father read this to our church and the Lord has brought it back to my mind over and over in the last few weeks. I hope it will make you stop and thank the Lord for his goodness to us!
As this year ends, the question I am asking is: Where was God when so many good things happened this past year?
How can God be a God of justice, yet allow so much good to happen to people who dishonor him by disbelieving in him, or giving lip service to his existence, or paying no more attention to him than the carpet in their den, or rejecting the kingship of his Son, or scorning his word, or preferring a hundred pleasures before him?
How can God be righteous and do so much good to us who are so unrighteous?
Where was God in 2012?
- Where was God when nine million planes landed safely in the United States?
- Where was God when the world revolved around the sun so accurately that it achieved the Winter solstice perfectly at 5:12 AM December 21 and headed back toward Spring?
- Where was God when the President was not shot at a thousand public appearances?
- Where was God when American farms produced ten million bushels of corn, and 2.8 million bushels of soybeans — enough food to sell $100 billions worth to other nations?
- Where was God when no terrorist plot brought down a single American building or plane or industry?
- Where was God when the sun maintained its heat and its gravitational pull precisely enough that we were not incinerated or frozen?
- Where was God when three hundred million Americans drank water in homes and restaurants without getting sick?
- Where was God when no new plague swept away a third of our race?
- Where was God when Americans drove three trillion accident free miles?
- Where was God when over three million healthy babies were born in America?
- Here are a few of the answers given by God himself in his word.
1. God was reigning from his throne to do his sovereign will.
“But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.” (Psalm 115:3)
“…who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will.” (Ephesians 1:11)
2. God was reigning from his throne to prevent much sin and harm in the world.
“ And God said unto him [Abimelech, the king of Gerar] in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her. (Genesis 20:6)
“ And now ye know what withholdeth [the man of lawlessness] that he might be revealed in his time. (2 Thessalonians 2:6)
3. God was reigning from his throne to give a witness to his goodness and his patience.
“Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.” (Acts 14:17)
4. God was reigning from his throne to summon the world to repentance.
“ Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?” (Romans 2:4)
So as the year ends, I bow my head as an undeserving sinner, amazed that I have not been swept away. And even more, that because of Jesus, I am forgiven, adopted into God’s family, and destined for eternal life.
God has been good to us. And his best gift is the one that will be there when all the others fail. Jesus, crucified, risen, reigning.
by: John Piper